Tuesday, January 12, 2010

12/365 Relay for Life


I have had the pleasure and privilege of teaching over 750 students over the last eleven years. I have taught math, science, reading, writing and more. I have given, graded and poured over countless tests. I have sat in thousands of hours of in-services and trainings. Yet, when I think of the things that I feel are the most important in the lives of the children I have taught, very little has to do with testing or curriculum. Last year, I had an amazing class of 4th grade students who wanted to impact the community in a positive way. They decided to form a Relay for Life team and raise money for the American Cancer Society. My students raised $2807.48 with a dress down day, a 3rd and 4th grade dance and other grass-roots efforts. Each time I think of these students and this event, they will always touch my heart. Tonight at our Relay for Life 2010 Captains' Meeting, I surprisingly received an award on their behalf. It was certainly an honor and worthy of my photo of the day.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! I'm sure the kiddies got to do their activities during daylight hours as opposed to our middle-of-the-night laps around the track in college...wow that was ages ago.

    ReplyDelete