Saturday, May 8, 2010

127/365


So, today I'm thinking of a bit more somber period of the boys' first weeks. They were born on a Tuesday morning, and by Friday morning they had held Tyler and I for about as long as they could. It was time for us to go home. But, David was still in the NICU. Those 7 days between us leaving the hospital and David joining us at home were excruciating. We were back and forth between home and the hospital, and because children weren't allowed in the NICU, we couldn't be together as a whole family. If I was at the hospital with David, I felt bad for leaving Tyler with my mom. If I was at home with Tyler, I agonized over the fact that I wasn't with David. Our first Mothers Day was spent going back and forth between home and the hospital. Visiting the NICU was a painful process for me. It was terrible having to watch David, not being able to hold him because he was hooked up to so many monitors and IVs. It was also very emotional to see other moms and dads keeping vigil over their sweet pre-mature babies who were only one and two pounds. I struggled with a lot of emotions that week, one of which was guilt because David was ok. He was there are a pre-caution, while other babies were fighting for their lives. It was definitely bittersweet for us. We are thankful to the NICU staff of New Hanover Regional Medical, and we always will be. We are so truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment