Thursday, May 6, 2010

125/365


So, the boys are officially seven now, and they couldn't be happier about it. They are feeling like this is a "big" birthday. It's been such a joy to watch them grow up a lot this year.

So, at this time every year, I can't help but laugh at the events of the actual day of their birth. One of the strongest feelings that I remember is, well, HUNGER. Like I said yesterday, I was at an afternoon doctor's appointment when my water broke. By the time I got to the hospital, I was ready for some supper. The doctors wouldn't let me eat because of the medication that they were using to try and stop my labor. Ice chips were not cutting it. Well, at about 2:30 AM they decided that my labor wasn't a force to be stopped, I was relieved. I was going to eat! Oops, oh no, I couldn't eat. I was in active labor. Sigh. So finally, the boys were born at 8:48 and 8:59 AM. I guess I got back to my room around 10:30. The nurses asked me what I needed, and I just wanted to eat. I was starving by that time. They ordered me up an early lunch. Fried chicken. I just couldn't wait for it to get there. In comes the nurse, and she leaves the covered plate by my bed. When I finally sat up and get situated, I lift the cover and I have never been so frustrated in my life. I was overpowered with the odor of collard greens. If there's anything that everyone should know about me, it's that I HATE collard greens. I can't walk near the school cafeteria on days they are being served. So, when I opened that highly anticipated lunch plate and found everything in it to be tainted with the overpowering stench, I lost it. Thank goodness there was a great little Greek place across the street from the hospital, or else I may have totally flipped my lid. We laugh now, but at that moment, it was anything but funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment