Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thinking Back... and Ahead

As we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our newest family member, we have laughed a lot lately telling the boys about the day they decided to head into the world.

I was home on bed rest but had been out running a few errands before a routine check up at the OB/GYN in Wilmington. After I got to the doctor, and as I was standing on the scales being weighed, my water broke. Actually, more accurately, Tyler's water broke. Good timing, huh? The doctor's office sent me on over to New Hanover Regional Medical Center where they wanted to try and stop my labor. At this point, I hadn't had any idea that I was in labor.

Of course, Davy was at baseball practice at Leland Middle School, where we both taught. He had also forgotten his cell phone on this one day of the year. I called his assistant coach, Kyle, figuring I would be able to talk with him that way. But, as Murphy's Law would have it, Kyle was not at practice that day. As I told Kyle that I was headed to the hospital, HE went into panic mode saying how he'd go out to school, but apparently he couldn't find his car keys. I know this because he apparently put the phone down while it was still on and he was running around yelling "OMG. Where are my keys? I can't find my keys!" I hung up. At that point, I had to call the school office, which I was dreading, because I knew that our excitable secretary Mrs. McClammy would get awfully wound up. I was right. Davy said she ran out of the building, totally out of breath, yelling, "Hines! Get your a$$ in here. Your wife is going to the hospital!"

Finally, Davy made it to the hospital around 5:00, where my worst problem was that I was hungry and they wouldn't let me eat. They tried to stop my labor, but there was to be none of that. It wasn't until after 9:00 pm and a change in position that I started feeling the contractions. And, boy, did I feel them! Heavy medication was soon to follow. We sent Davy home for the night to rest and plan on going to school the next day. The doctors were sure nothing was going to happen in a hurry. At about 2:30 AM, there seemed to be a change of plans. The doctors decided that my labor was not going to be stopped and we were going to have the twins at some point the next day. More drugs followed.

Around 8:20 AM on May 6, the nurse came in to check on me as a pre-caution. I had to deliver in an operating room, just in case there were complications, so they needed to take care of me before any scheduled, routine C-sections. She jokingly said, "You'll either have a long way to go, or we'll need to get out of here right now." She took a peek, and the next thing I know I was being wheeled into the operating room. It was time! By 9:00, and in front of an audience of about 20 nurses, doctors, and interns, we had two beautiful healthy boys. I was exhausted and still very, very hungry.

What was the worst part of the whole thing? That day, when all I wanted to do was hold my babies and to eat, they brought in my hospital lunch on the covered dish. When I opened it, there were collard greens. And everything on my plate had been tainted by the smell and juices of them. If you know me, you know that's about the ONE thing that I cannot stand! Ugh. Thank goodness for the Greek restaurant across the street and their take-out menu!

While labor this time had been a longer, more drawn out process, and I have to keep wondering when I will go to the hospital and when Landon will arrive, I know that it will be full of its own adventures! I can't wait to share them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment